4 lessons + 1 bonus session
Materials and tools are provided
Restricted to Course Eén participants
Prolong the learning experience from Course Eén and learn to make four different woodworking joints!
What will you learn?
The blind mortise and tenon
The mortise and tenon joint is one of the most common joints in woodworking. The first joint you will learn to make is the blind variant of the mortise and tenon joint.
The through mortise and tenon
The through mortise and tenon is another variety of the same joint and requires a little bit more work and precision than the blind one.
The box joint
A very common wood joint used for case constructions is the so-called box joint, sometimes also known as the finger joint. This is the joint we will learn to make in the third lesson.
The dovetail joint
We will end the course with the most characteristic of the all the joints: the dovetail joint.
All classes sold out currently, but...
Currently all classes in the above schedule are sold out unfortunately! However, new classes will be added on a regular basis and there may be openings in already sold-out classes due to cancellations.
Would you like to be notified about this? Subscribe to the availability alert on this page.
Notify me about availabilityexpand_more
Would you like to be notified when a spot becomes available or new classes are added to the schedule for Course Twee? Subscribe to the course availability alert on this page.
How to register expand_more
Follow these steps to register a course.
- View the course schedule and pick a date that suits you.
- Click the “Register” button behind the preferred date. This will add the course to your online cart and automatically show you the contents of your cart. If you see no register button, it is because that class is already full!
- Check the contents of your cart and click the “Proceed to Checkout” button.
- Provide your details, choose a payment method, and follow the instructions on the checkout page.
The registration will only be completed once you have concluded the checkout procedure and fulfilled the payment of the course fee.
Payment of the course feeexpand_more
You are required to pay the course fee immediately when booking a course. It is not possible to delay the payment to a later date, nor to reserve a spot without payment.
Below you can see what payments methods are accepted. The payment method can be chosen during the booking procedure. Payments are processed in a fully secure environment by our partner Mollie, an established payment service provider.
Cancellation or rebookingexpand_more
Cancellation and refund policy
- If you cancel your booking at the latest 10 days before the start of the course, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- If you cancel your booking between 9 and 5 days before the start of the course, 50% of the total course fee will be refunded to you, unless a replacement can be found. In that case the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- Cancellations and refunds are not possible within 4 days (96 hours) before the start of the course, unless replacement can be found. If replacement is found, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- In case you have used a course voucher, there will be no refund. Vouchers are not redeemable.
Bookings can be cancelled only through email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be carried out within 14 calendar days from the day we receive your cancellation note. We will use the same payment method as you did, unless otherwise agreed.
Transferring to another course
It is possible to be transferred to another course up till 10 days before the start of the course that you originally booked. This is free of charge. Have a look at the course schedule to see what courses are available. Then send an email to email@example.com with your request for a transfer.
Spots that were announced in a course availability alert will only become available for rebooking 12 hours after their publication time. If you do not want to wait, you may also directly book the spot yourself through the normal online booking procedure and subsequently cancel your previous booking. Please note that, in that case, the cancellation and refund conditions described in the previous section will apply. This policy is to ensure that all subscribers to the course availability alert have an equal chance to obtain these spots.
Transferring within 9 days of the start of the course is not possible and any requests in this respect will be dealt with similar to cancellation requests within the same term. See the above section for more details.
Offer this course as a gift to someoneexpand_more
It is also possible to offer this course as a gift to someone else. You can do so in two ways:
- Choose a class yourself in the schedule above and book it for the recipient. If you want to keep it a surprise for the time being, fill in your own contact details during the registration.
- Buy a gift voucher and give the voucher to the recipient. The recipient can choose a class themselves depending on their availability and use the voucher for payment. Click here to buy a voucher.
Note that vouchers are not available if there are not enough classes available in the schedule. With limited availability, there is nothing or too little to choose and that defeats the whole purpose of the voucher. In this case, you can revert to the first option.
More course information
In Course Eén you have already learned the basics of artisanal woodworking and know what the making process looks like from beginning till end. You also learned about the importance of woodworking joints, because these play a crucial role in creating things out of wood.
The more woodworking joints you know, the more things you will be able to create. That is why Course Twee aims to expand your knowledge about traditional joints and teaches you different woodworking joints.
As a participant, you will
- Acquire knowledge about traditional joinery in general
- Learn to make four different traditional woodworking joints
- Learn new skills with hand tools
- Develop your skills from Course Eén to a higher level
Attention: Course Twee is part of an integral learning trajectory offered by Atelier Espenaer that starts with Course Eén. Course Twee can only be joined by participants of Course Eén!
emoji_peopleFor who is this course?expand_circle_down
Course Two is only accessible to participants of Course Eén. This is because Course Two is part of a integral learning trajectory that starts with Course Eén. The aims and contents of the two courses are tuned to one another.
The courses are explicitly focused on individual guidance and personal contact with (and among) course participants. For this reason, the number of participants per course is limited to a maximum of 4
The small size of the class makes it easy to switch between plenary instructions and individual guidance. If you don’t fully understand something or need help with a particular skill, you will easily and quickly be assisted by the instructor, because there are just 4 participants in the group, including you!
Similarly, because the instructor is overseeing just the 4 of you in the workshop, he can quickly step in if he sees that you are doing something wrong, even when you are not aware of it yourself.
The courses are offered in Espenaer’s own atelier, located in Het Ambachtslab in Amsterdam-West. The atelier is easy to reach by bike, car, and public transportation. There is ample parking space in front of the building (Paid parking). Participants will receive more detailed directions upon registration.
schoolAbout the instructorexpand_circle_down
The courses are instructed by artisanal furniture maker and founder of Atelier Espenaer, Umut Lucas Espenaer. Umut has over 15 years of experience in woodworking and specializes in artisanal skills, techniques, and hand tools. He originally started woodworking as a hobby before turning it into his trade and is self-taught. He has been offering woodworking courses since 2017 and has had the pleasure of instructing to several hundreds of participants up till now.
For a furniture maker, Umut has a somewhat unusual professional background. He was originally trained as a political scientist and worked as policy officer at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and as lecturer at the University of Amsterdam for most of his professional life. He decided to switch careers and pursue his passion, left his career in academia, and founded Atelier Espenaer. He is very passionate about artisanal woodworking and enjoys helping others explore their own creativity.