4 lessons + 1 bonus session
Materials and tools are provided
Do you want to learn to make things out of wood using hand tools and traditional techniques? This entry-level course will introduce you to the basics of artisanal hand tool woodworking!
27 Feb - 2 Mar '23 (4 days in a row!)| English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
6 Mar - 9 Mar '23 | Dutch4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
13 Mar - 16 Mar '23 | English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
20 Mar - 23 Mar '23 | English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
28 Mar - 18 Apr '23 | EnglishOnce a week on Tuesdays from 19:00 to 21:30h
29 Mar - 19 Apr '23 | EnglishOnce a week on Wednesdays from 19:00 to 21:30h
1 Apr - 22 Apr '23 | DutchOnce a week on Saturdays from 12:00 to 14:30h
1 May - 4 May '23 | English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
8 May - 11 May '23 | Dutch4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
15 May - 18 May '23 | English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
30 May - 20 Jun '23 | EnglishNew!Once a week on Tuesdays from 19:00 to 21:30h
31 May - 21 Jun '23 | DutchOnce a week on Wednesdays from 19:00 to 21:30h
1 Jun - 22 Jun '23 | EnglishOnce a week on Thursdays from 19:00 to 21:30h
3 Jul - 6 Jul '23 | English4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
10 Jul - 13 Jul '23 | Dutch4 evenings in a row: Mon - Thu from 19:00 to 21:30h
How to register
Follow these steps to register a course.
- View the course schedule and pick a date that suits you.
- Click the “Register” button behind the preferred date. This will add the course to your online cart and automatically show you the contents of your cart. If you see no register button, it is because that class is already full!
- Check the contents of your cart and click the “Proceed to Checkout” button.
- Provide your details, choose a payment method, and follow the instructions on the checkout page.
The registration will only be completed once you have concluded the checkout procedure and fulfilled the payment of the course fee.
Course full? You may consider subscribing to the waitlist.
Payment of the course fee
You are required to pay the course fee immediately when booking a course. It is not possible to delay the payment to a later date, nor to reserve a spot without payment.
Below you can see what payments methods are accepted. The payment method can be chosen during the booking procedure. Payments are processed in a fully secure environment by our partner Mollie, an established payment service provider.
Cancellation or rebooking
Cancellation and refund policy
- If you cancel your booking at the latest 10 days before the start of the course, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- If you cancel your booking between 9 and 5 days before the start of the course, 50% of the total course fee will be refunded to you, unless a replacement can be found. In that case the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- Cancellations and refunds are not possible within 4 days (96 hours) before the start of the course, unless replacement can be found. If replacement is found, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- In case you have used a course voucher, there will be no refund. Vouchers are not redeemable.
Bookings can be cancelled only through email to email@example.com.
Refunds will be carried out within 14 calendar days from the day we receive your cancellation note. We will use the same payment method as you did, unless otherwise agreed.
Transferring to another course
It is possible to be transferred to another course up till 10 days before the start of the course. This is free of charge. Have a look at the course schedule to see what courses are available. Then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request for a transfer.
Transferring within 9 days of the start of the course is not possible and any requests in this respect will be dealt with similar to cancellation requests within the same term. See the above section for more details.
Offer this course as a gift to someone
It is also possible to offer this course as a gift to someone else. You can do so in two ways:
- Choose a class yourself in the schedule above and book it for the recipient. If you want to keep it a surprise for the time being, fill in your own contact details during the registration.
- Buy a gift voucher and give the voucher to the recipient. The recipient can choose a class themselves depending on their availability and use the voucher for payment. Click here to buy a voucher.
Note that vouchers are not available if there are not enough classes available in the schedule. With limited availability, there is nothing or too little to choose and that defeats the whole purpose of the voucher. In this case, you can revert to the first option.
Detailed course information
What will you do in this course?
Course Eén is Espenaer’s entry-level course and introduces you to the wondrous world of artisanal woodworking. You will learn to make things out of wood using only hand tools and traditional artisanal techniques.
As a participant, you will:
- Develop proficiency with common hand tools in artisanal woodworking
- Create components out of rough lumber for a project
- Learn to make a traditional woodworking joint
- Acquire basic knowledge about wood and types of wood
- Learn about other essential facets of the craft, like measuring, marking, gluing, and finishing (oils, varnishes, waxes)
To avoid that you come to the course with the wrong expectations, we would also like to clarify what you will NOT learn in this course:
- You will not learn how to work with power tools and machines (plunge saw, jointer, etc.)
- You will not learn how to use screws and nails
- You will not learn how to build with engineered wood, like plywood, mdf, and chipboard.
What will you make?
You will instantly employ the instructed knowledge, skills, and techniques to make a simple wooden object that you (hopefully) will get to take home with you at the end of the course. The object will be introduced during the first lesson.
The object is selected not only on the basis of its suitability with the course aims, but also on the basis of restraints like the limited available time and the beginner’s level of participants. It is expected that upon completion of the full learning trajectory (which also encompasses Course Twee), participants will have sufficient basic skills and know-how to try bigger and more complex projects.
Anyone above the age of 18 with an interest in artisanal woodworking is welcome to register. The course is suited for beginners in artisanal woodworking, including those with no prior experiences in any craft. Are you a handy DIY-er, but don’t have any experience with traditional artisanal woodworking, then we would still recommend this entry-level course.
Class size and personal guidance
The courses are explicitly focused on individual guidance and personal contact with (and among) course participants. For this reason, the number of participants per course is limited to a maximum of 4
The small size of the class makes it easy to switch between plenary instructions and individual guidance. If you don’t fully understand something or need help with a particular skill, you will easily and quickly be assisted by the instructor, because there are just 4 participants in the group, including you!
Similarly, because the instructor is overseeing just the 4 of you in the workshop, he can quickly step in if he sees that you are doing something wrong, even when you are not aware of it yourself.
Necessities and location
All necessary tools and materials are provided in the atelier. The materials are included in the course fee.
Participants are recommended to wear comfortable and sturdy clothing and shoes with a hard front. Choose fabrics that can keep out sawdust and fibers. It is not necessary to acquire special work clothing for the course.
The courses are offered in Espenaer’s own atelier, located in Het Ambachtslab in Amsterdam-West. The atelier is easy to reach by bike, car, and public transportation. There is ample parking space in front of the building (Paid parking). Participants will receive more detailed directions upon registration.
In addition to the four lessons of the course, you are granted two hours of free use of a workspace for an unaided solo-session. You may use these hours to do additional work on your project or to practice skills and techniques. This ‘bonus session’ can be booked in-between lessons or after the end of the course.
You can schedule this on day and time of your choice, depending on availability of workspaces, as given on the online calendar on the Workspaces page. For bonus sessions on Saturdays there is a supplement of €5.
Workspaces are also available for use beyond these two hours for a rate of only €7.50 per hour on week days and €10 per hour on Saturdays, with discounts for longer bookings. For more information read our page on booking workspaces (click here).
About the instructor
The courses are instructed by artisanal furniture maker and founder of Atelier Espenaer, Umut Lucas Espenaer. Umut has over 15 years of experience in woodworking and specializes in artisanal skills, techniques, and hand tools. He originally started woodworking as a hobby before turning it into his trade and is self-taught. He has been offering woodworking courses since 2017 and has had the pleasure of instructing to several hundreds of participants up till now.
For a furniture maker, Umut has a somewhat unusual professional background. He was originally trained as a political scientist and worked as policy officer at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and as lecturer at the University of Amsterdam for most of his professional life. He decided to switch careers and pursue his passion, left his career in academia, and founded Atelier Espenaer. He is very passionate about artisanal woodworking and enjoys helping others explore their own creativity.