4 lessons + 1 bonus session
Materials and tools are provided
Step into the world of artisanal woodworking and learn to make things out of wood using only hand tools and traditional techniques.
What will you learn?
From rough wood to end product
You will learn how to transform a rough piece of wood into a useful object and explore the different stages of the making process.
Hand tool basics
While doing that, you will learn how to properly use hand tools to cut and shape wood: from the plane to the chisel, from the saw to the marking gauge.
Traditional wood joint
Wood joints are an important part of building with wood, so we will also look into how to cut and use one.
Wood, finishes, and glue
Finally, you will get to know the basic properties and types of wood, but also how to glue and finish it.
You selected a Dutch class of Course Eén. Please confirm that you speak Dutch to participate in this class:Close window
Notify me about availabilityexpand_more
Would you like to be notified when a spot becomes available or new classes are added to the schedule for Course Eén? Subscribe to the course availability alert on this page.
How to register expand_more
Follow these steps to register a course.
- View the course schedule and pick a date that suits you.
- Click the “Register” button behind the preferred date. This will add the course to your online cart and automatically show you the contents of your cart. If you see no register button, it is because that class is already full!
- Check the contents of your cart and click the “Proceed to Checkout” button.
- Provide your details, choose a payment method, and follow the instructions on the checkout page.
The registration will only be completed once you have concluded the checkout procedure and fulfilled the payment of the course fee.
Payment of the course feeexpand_more
You are required to pay the course fee immediately when booking a course. It is not possible to delay the payment to a later date, nor to reserve a spot without payment.
Below you can see what payments methods are accepted. The payment method can be chosen during the booking procedure. Payments are processed in a fully secure environment by our partner Mollie, an established payment service provider.
Cancellation or rebookingexpand_more
Cancellation and refund policy
- If you cancel your booking at the latest 10 days before the start of the course, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- If you cancel your booking between 9 and 5 days before the start of the course, 50% of the total course fee will be refunded to you, unless a replacement can be found. In that case the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- Cancellations and refunds are not possible within 4 days (96 hours) before the start of the course, unless replacement can be found. If replacement is found, the total course fee will be refunded to you, minus a €6.95 service charge.
- In case you have used a course voucher, there will be no refund. Vouchers are not redeemable.
Bookings can be cancelled only through email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be carried out within 14 calendar days from the day we receive your cancellation note. We will use the same payment method as you did, unless otherwise agreed.
Transferring to another course
It is possible to be transferred to another course up till 10 days before the start of the course that you originally booked. This is free of charge. Have a look at the course schedule to see what courses are available. Then send an email to email@example.com with your request for a transfer.
Spots that were announced in a course availability alert will only become available for rebooking 12 hours after their publication time. If you do not want to wait, you may also directly book the spot yourself through the normal online booking procedure and subsequently cancel your previous booking. Please note that, in that case, the cancellation and refund conditions described in the previous section will apply. This policy is to ensure that all subscribers to the course availability alert have an equal chance to obtain these spots.
Transferring within 9 days of the start of the course is not possible and any requests in this respect will be dealt with similar to cancellation requests within the same term. See the above section for more details.
Offer this course as a gift to someoneexpand_more
It is also possible to offer this course as a gift to someone else. You can do so in two ways:
- Choose a class yourself in the schedule above and book it for the recipient. If you want to keep it a surprise for the time being, fill in your own contact details during the registration.
- Buy a gift voucher and give the voucher to the recipient. The recipient can choose a class themselves depending on their availability and use the voucher for payment. Click here to buy a voucher.
Note that vouchers are not available if there are not enough classes available in the schedule. With limited availability, there is nothing or too little to choose and that defeats the whole purpose of the voucher. In this case, you can revert to the first option.
More course information
The course consists of 4 lessons of 2.5 hours each. Each lesson contains a theory part with explanations and instructions and of course a practice part, where you get to work with the wood yourself.
To avoid that you come to the course with the wrong expectations, we would also like to clarify what you will NOT learn in this course:
- You will not learn how to work with power tools and machines (plunge saw, jointer, etc.)
- You will not learn how to use screws and nails
- You will not learn how to build with engineered wood, like plywood, mdf, and chipboard.
emoji_peopleFor who is this course?expand_circle_down
Anyone above the age of 18 with an interest in artisanal woodworking is welcome to join. The course is suited for beginners, including those with no prior experiences in any craft. Are you a handy DIY-er, but lack experience with hand tools and artisanal methods, then this course will be right for you as well.
The courses are explicitly focused on individual guidance and personal contact with (and among) course participants. For this reason, the number of participants per course is limited to a maximum of 4
The small size of the class makes it easy to switch between plenary instructions and individual guidance. If you don’t fully understand something or need help with a particular skill, you will easily and quickly be assisted by the instructor, because there are just 4 participants in the group, including you!
Similarly, because the instructor is overseeing just the 4 of you in the workshop, he can quickly step in if he sees that you are doing something wrong, even when you are not aware of it yourself.
The courses are offered in Espenaer’s own atelier, located in Het Ambachtslab in Amsterdam-West. The atelier is easy to reach by bike, car, and public transportation. There is ample parking space in front of the building (Paid parking). Participants will receive more detailed directions upon registration.
schoolAbout the instructorexpand_circle_down
The courses are instructed by artisanal furniture maker and founder of Atelier Espenaer, Umut Lucas Espenaer. Umut has over 15 years of experience in woodworking and specializes in artisanal skills, techniques, and hand tools. He originally started woodworking as a hobby before turning it into his trade and is self-taught. He has been offering woodworking courses since 2017 and has had the pleasure of instructing to several hundreds of participants up till now.
For a furniture maker, Umut has a somewhat unusual professional background. He was originally trained as a political scientist and worked as policy officer at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and as lecturer at the University of Amsterdam for most of his professional life. He decided to switch careers and pursue his passion, left his career in academia, and founded Atelier Espenaer. He is very passionate about artisanal woodworking and enjoys helping others explore their own creativity.